National Night Out Against Crime
Every year, on the first Tuesday in October, neighborhoods throughout the city of Roanoke are invited to join forces with thousands of communities nationwide for the Annual National Night Out crime and drug prevention event. The National Association of Town Watch has set aside a special day in October for Texans due to the hot temperatures in August, when the rest of the nation celebrates.
National Night Out is supported by the National Association of Town Watch and in part by the Bureau of Justice Assistance, Office of Justice Programs and the U.S. Department of Justice. National Night out events are designed to help motivate citizens to become involved in the safety of their community.
National Night Out is designed to:
(1) Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness;
(2) Generate support for, and participation in, local anticrime programs;
(3) Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships; and
(4) Send a message to criminals letting them know our neighborhoods are organized and fighting back.
We request your participation
- Notify your neighbors to turn on their outdoor lights from 7pm - 10 pm
- Organize a block party
- Register your party with the Roanoke Police Department
Your support of the Roanoke National Night Out program will help strengthen law enforcement/citizen contact and cooperation and will make our community a safer place to live. Please notify us if you are planning on having a National Night Out block party this year so that we can send police officers and possibly other emergency personnel to your party.
Please share with us any National Night Out photographs or videos you may acquire.
Your contribution could make a difference in Texas being judged number 1 in the nation again as well as Roanoke receiving another award.
Thanks to your hard work and commitment in the past, the City of Roanoke has been recognized nationally 2 previous years.
For more information, please refer to the National Association of Town Watch website.
To register your neighborhood for the Roanoke
National Night Out, click here!