Citizen's Police Academy Information
Understanding through EducationThe Roanoke Police Department sponsors the Citizen's Police Academy which is designed to give Roanoke residents, business owners, and those working in the Roanoke community, education and working knowledge of the operations of their Police Department. Lectures, interactive discussions, and hands on activities are provided to dispel any suspicions or misconceptions about law enforcement. The Roanoke Police Department believes an informed citizen is one who is better able to understand decisions made by the Police Department. As a result, the program increases relations between the police and community.
How are classes conducted?One academy class is held per year. The academy starts in September of each year and is held on Thursday evenings.
Citizens meet one night per week from 6:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. for 9 weeks and will receive instruction by certified police officers and other expert instructors.
Who is Eligible?
- Must live or work in the City of Roanoke
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must agree to attend at least 7 of the 9 classes in order to graduate
- Must complete a 4 hour ride with a police officer
- Must pass a background investigation
- If accepted, must agree to come with an open mind, have fun and ask lots of questions.
What is covered in the classes?
Here is a sample of some topics that are covered FREE OF CHARGE:
- Criminal Investigations
- Traffic Law and Accident Investigation
- DWI Laws and Investigation
- Drug Identification and Investigations
- North Tarrant Regional SWAT
In addition, the class will take a tour of the Denton County Jail, shoot tactical weapons at the gun range, as well as other topics.
Citizen's Police Academy Application
CPA application (PDF)
Please feel free to call Sergeant S. Pettigrew or Officer T. Mahan at 817-491-6052 or email for more information.